The employer may limit the employment contract to two years, in case of a new employment relationship.
The following conditions must be respected for shorter time limits:
- The company has only temporary needs for work.
- The employee is hired following an education or study. This facilitates the transition to subsequent employments.
- It is a place of representation (pregnancy or leave of absence)
- The nature of the work performance justifies the time limit.
- The time limit has been allowed.
- Reasons in the person of the employee justifying a time limit.
- The employee is remunerated from the budget. These are intended for fixed-term employment under budgetary law and the employment corresponds to his remuneration.
- The term is based on a court settlement.
- The employee is at least 58 years old on the first working day, i.e. at the beginning of the employment contract.
- There was no previous employment relationship between the employee and the employer.
Form and content of a time-limited employment
The employer must stipulate the end of the employment contract in writing; otherwise the term will be ineffective.
Within a period of three weeks, the employee has to react if he wants to appeal to this decision before the Labor Court (Arbeitsgericht). The three-week period begins with the end of the employment relationship. If he does not react during the three weeks, the term of his employment contract becomes effective.